Monday, November 2, 2009

Super Monday

Ah today. It was a long day at both jobs and I am going on 15 hours between the two jobs. Whew! I cannot wait to see the new Sandra Bullock movie "The Blind Side". It is this movie about a family who takes in this poor kid off the street and he becomes an awesome football player. I pretty much love all of Sandra Bullocks dramas ( I can live without Miss Congeniality and the like). I actually cried watching this preview. I also really like stories like this. It reminds me of my family with A. They just love him unconditionally, which is more than I can say for his own family.

When I told my parents about A I didn't really expect for them to be surprised. When I was five my mom explained to me what gay was. I was laying down to sleep and my mom came into my room and sat beside my bed. "We are going to see your godfather tomorrow and I want you to know that he is gay."

"What's gay?" I asked.

"Well, you know how some boys and girls hold hands? Some people like to hold hands with other boys or other girls and we call them gay. It isn't bad, it's different and interesting." she replied. I asked whether I was gay and she said we wouldn't know until I was older but it didn't matter she would love me just the same either way.

I was really only concerned at the time abou whether or not I could call my godfather's partner "aunt G" since I called him "uncle R". It was a beautiful way to explain a sensitive concept to a child. She was right, gay was interesting, and since then I have been interested in everything gay I could get my hands on.

So the day that I decided to tell my mom and her then husband (he passed away last year) about A I didn't expect to be rejected. I expected, instead, to win the shock contest I had been having with my mother for years. Take, for example, when inwas 15 I told her I loved to give blow jobs, and she said "your dad always said you would be just like me.". Total punch in the gut, I thought she would be upset and she totally blew me off. In college I called to tell her I had a foursome, she laughed and said "only 4?"

So this moment would be the ultimate shock. "Mom," I said, "remember that lesbian M I always talked about in college? The one who got me into that But I'm a Cheerleader movie"

"Yes," she replied, as she pour margaritas.

"Well that lesbian is A" I said proudly.

"That's nice," she said and she walked out carrying the drinks. My shocking plan didn't work out, but later on she asked if she could tell my step dad. I said yes and she did. He called A brave and we got big hugs. Most parents wouldn't easily support my choice to marry a transgendered epileptic college student with mood issues. My family sees A for the amazing individual he is and is proud of my life decisions.

So Sandra Bullock dramas make me cry, because they exposed the beautiful intertwined relationships that come with acceptance and unconditional love. I am lucky enough to be blessed with that everyday.

Much love to you, unconditional and all

No comments:

Post a Comment